If you have skin problems and you are looking for inspiration, you have come to the right place!
Maybe you have eczema, psoriasis or acne and you have tried every lotion, potion, antibiotic, steroid, cortisone and biological treatment available.... well, it's time to try something new.
Like beauty, good skin comes from within, however you have probably been told for years that what you eat doesn't affect your skin, well it does and hopefully by sharing the accounts and info below you'll start from the inside out when it comes to your skin.
Personally, I had years of waiting lists and poor advice. I even paid to see experts in my darkest times, and their advice and treatment made little or no difference long term. I also had a similar experience with alternative therapies, wasting time and money on lotions, potions, supplements & treatments.*
I completely cleared my skin condition (long term) through trial, error and YouTube....yes YouTube! Taking advice and guidance from people with some of the worst psoriasis I have ever seen (90% coverage or more), people who REALLY knew about the condition.
There is so much new research coming out on diet, and how the components of your diet impact on the bacteria in your gut, which in turn impact your immune system and general health and well-being. Imbalances in the gut like SIBO & Dysbiosis certainly impact the skin. For me, it started after numerous rounds of broad spectrum antibiotics, Amoxicillin, for tonsillitis when I was a teenager, combined with usual teenage problems - hormones, bad diet, lack of sleep etc. But an imbalance in the gut can be caused by various things - internal and external - such as antibiotics, stress, alcohol, excess sugar, drugs, environment and diet itself. If you want to learn more about this, check out this website.
More money still needs to be invested to research functional foods and diet for autoimmune and skin conditions, and clear, widespread advice needs to be provided by in a way everyone can understand and follow it. Until then, here is some skinsperation to nudge you in the right direction -
Instagram accounts to follow...
And me @fuel_for_health
YouTube accounts to check out...
I would recommend joining Psoriasis Healing Warriors on Facebook
5 top tips
Finally, here are 5 tops tips to start you on your journey back to perfect skin….
1. The main thing is to remove all inflammatory foods and drinks (basically all the fun stuff) – alcohol/ sugar/ gluten / wheat / dairy/ nightshades / tobacco / red & processed meat etc etc. This is known as an elimination diet.
2. Increase your intake of plant-based foods. You need to follow this, along with the elimination diet, for a minimum of 2-3 months. You may see NO improvement at all during this time and after the first month it may get worse (sorry)...but stick with it the results are nothing short of miraculous.
3. This however isn't enough, you will need to follow an 'alkaline diet', not to alkalise your body, but to support digestion, elimination & your body’s natural pH. This helps to create a healthy internal environment for useful gut bacteria to flourish, and opportunistic parasites and fungus to recede. Lots of quick wins here - wheatgrass powder, 1/2 cucumber every day, lemon juice in water daily.
4. You also want to flood the body with the mineral magnesium, so Dead Sea Salt baths or Epsom Salt baths weekly or more often depending on the severity of your condition.
5. Lastly, Sun (Vit D) as much as you can get as often as you can get.
Read more in my ebook -
Healed : A science-based approach to support your gut bacteria and clear psoriasis
*Many alternative therapies can contribute to healing but they need to be part of a whole 'inside out' approach to your skin.